Be who you are and say what you will because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind. - iSOUGHT|THOUGHT
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Nothing is fact?

User Thread
 27yrs • F •
TammyLikesToast is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Nothing is fact?
I've heard people say a lot of the time "Nothing is fact". I've also completely agreed with that up until now.
The other day me and my friend were talking about it, and he said: 'If I cut myself deep enough, I would bleed. That's an undeniable fact'.
That's kind of changed my view on things.
Do you think that nothing is fact? Or do you think that some things are fact?
Keywords: fact, truth,

64yrs • M •
Wildling is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
If it is true that 'nothing is fact' wouldn't that be a fact? What you are bringing up is a discussion even philosophers debate over. I think its good to keep an open mind, but don't let anyone bully you into believing what they want you to believe just by calling it fact. Make thinking for yourself a fact and the skill you will develop over time will give you the answers you need.

28yrs • F •
chanwt is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I don't really think that nothing is fact.. There IS a fact. its only whether you choose to believe in the truth. The truth is the fact. But everybody just happens to have different experiences and backgrounds to see an incident, for example, differently, and hence creates confusion and the question of 'Is there anything that is a fact or true?" While it is true that no one can truly see the whole truth and the real facts, there is a fact. but because of our little prejudice and our environment, we fail to see the truth and the fact. We misinterpret and it becomes - nothing is fact.

28yrs • M •
Dausume is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Both everything and nothing are fact. Everything is fact because anything is possible. Nothing is fact because all things are deeper than we can comprehend. It is only by isolation of observations that we are able to make sense of anything.

61yrs • M •
ChrisW is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Innocent by-standers are fact. Though what their presence accomplishes may not be fact.

27yrs • F •
TammyLikesToast is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
"If it is true that 'nothing is fact' wouldn't that be a fact?"
I didn't mean that I think of that as a fact. But it is something I have come to believe.

81yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that pljames is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have been searching for truth in knowledge all my life. Facts are sometime extremely hard to find and believe. Common sense comes closes to truth in facts plus intuition. Thoughts please?

[  Edited by Dawn at   ]
 70yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that thx1137 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If by fact, you mean absolute truth: it probably exists, but may escape absolute proof.

If by fact, you mean what is indisputable: somethings are less disputable than others.

The problem does not reside in the ability for there to exist concrete and immutable truth, but in our ability to perceive it.

81yrs • M •
thx1137,
How is truth perceived, through the mind or heart? Also believed. Do the facts touch our heart or mind first? Paul

If by fact, you mean absolute truth: it probably exists, but may escape absolute proof.

If by fact, you mean what is indisputable: somethings are less disputable than others.

The problem does not reside in the ability for there to exist concrete and immutable truth, but in our ability to perceive it.

70yrs • M •
Facts by their very nature are independent of belief.

Now quote one more time and click your heals together.

81yrs • M •
THX1137,
Facts by their very nature are independent of belief.
Please explain the above sentence. Facts are words without any nature. Facts are meanings only if believed. pljames

Now quote one more time and click your heals together.

70yrs • M •
Facts are not the words but the things. If I state that Dihydrogen Oxide has a melting point of 0 degrees Celsius, I have made a statement. Words.

But the fact that it does has nothing to do with the words, for it would have that property even if I said something else.

70yrs • M •
For a statement to be fact, the statement must be true. Truth does not require belief as a prerequisite. The Earth was not flat even when many believed it was.

81yrs • M •
A blind man and a seeing man were talking one day. The seeing man said, the sun is yellow. The blind man said, I only feel the heat from it but cannot see it's color.
These two men saw truth in their own way. Two different facts both true. pljames

81yrs • M •
thx1137,
There is a flat earth society they exist. pljames

Nothing is fact?
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy